Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Pattern Review: Brueram Dress from Sofilantjes

I have a special place in my heart for Anne and Sofilantjes patterns.  I tested her first pattern, and various ones up to now, and I have found her to be kind and receptive in every test.  She listens to her testers and discusses proposed changes with us, and really makes you feel like part of a team.

So this new dress... is just beautifully done.  Meet the Brueram:
The details:

Sizes 12mo - 14yrs (designed for non-developing chests)
Three skirt options: top, dress, maxi (top and maxi use cutting chart for pieces)
Instructions for shirred or elastic casing for the back.
Made for Woven fabrics
Lined bodice and enclosed bodice seams.


The version directly above is the maxi.  I used a pretty shirting fabric I found at Joann's that just screamed SUMMER at me.  And Inara is totally in love with it.  The instructions were clear and easy to follow along.  They may seem out of order if you've never shirred before, but the way the dress is constructed nicely encloses the bodice seams AND locks the shirring in at the sides.


The straps are part of the front bodice piece and are angled to meet at the mid back.  The amount of stretch to the bodice allowed Inara to get in and out on her own.  I chose to shirr both of my dresses, because one I learned how, I really like doing it.  And amazingly, I've found that it doesn't itch Miss Sensitive skin, like I thought it would.

**I have a brother, if you do too, make sure you tighten the tension on the bobbin case like one full turn before shirring.. and don't forget to turn it back when you are done!

What I love: I love the multiple skirt options, and I think my absolute favorite part - the wide straps!  The straps are wide enough that the dress meets the dress code requirement for Inara's school, so she has pretty, light summer dresses to wear as it warms up!

What I'd change:  I think for time's sake, I might make the next dress with the maxi width measurements and the length more a standard dress.  I love the style of the faux-wrap skirt, but there is something immensely satisfying about a super-fast gorgeous sew!

It's a little hard to tell in my multi-colored batik, but the skirt of the dress version is done in a faux-wrap style that adds just a hint of whimsy to the pattern, and I totally love it.

The dress is on sale right now in the Sofilantjes Shop for $5... and it's worth that and more!  And once you grab it, if you join the Sofilantjes Sew and Show Facebook Group there are a bunch of really friendly people to help and chat with and show off your Brueram!


No comments:

Post a Comment